Real time bidding (RTB) allows for the dynamic bidding of specific impressions. This means that an ad buyer, through the platform of their choice, can individually value each opportunity to buy an ad impression in real time. Essentially, you are able to accept or reject each individual impression based on a series of parameters, which are permanently customisable.
If you still find the concept a bit confusing, the video below does a pretty good job of summing up RTB in just 30 seconds. It’s all about reducing wasted media spend by micro-segmenting audiences that are most valuable to you.
At Jack, we’re at the forefront of RTB with our traded media platform - Eden™ (DSP). Platform traded media is an auction based online marketplace that enables advertisers, publishers and ad networks to trade digital media. The advertiser model involves bidding for available inventory based on your parameters (CPA targets, territory and demographics, day-parting). Exchanges, yield optimisers and other real time bidding environments support all pricing models and are able to target users based on their behaviours.
Media exchanges are gaining a larger percentage of advertisers spend and represent the future of wide reaching, low cost, online media trading. The bid model has many similarities with PPC, and can be considered a cross between PPC and display along the lines of Google’s content network. So, in brief, why consider real time bidding?
1) Waste less money. Your ad spend will be used more efficiently, with less budget wasted on poorly-targeted impressions or impressions delivered to fulfil a bulk inventory purchase.
2) Yield management. With the ability to evaluate and place rules on each impression opportunity, pay-for-performance takes on a new, positive meaning for your campaign. RTB buyers will have control over price/performance unprecedented in the world of display.
3) Actionable insights. By understanding what works for your campaign at the impression level, you have the opportunity to identify trends and discover new insights about your consumers, context, and creative.
4) Retargeting. Real-time, impression-level bidding can make cookie re-targeting more powerful and scalable, with the ability to more accurately identify and target desired customer behaviour.
5) Creative optimization. Testing images and creating links between customer and creative becomes much more effective.
6) Improved performance. All of the above benefits will undoubtedly deliver an improved performance for your campaigns. What’s more, this difference should be consistent and sustainable, across all types of target markets and audiences.
Contact us today to find out how we can help you with some real time bidding.